Saturday, January 17, 2015

These Broken Stars | Book Review

Title: These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Series: Starbound #1
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Genre: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Romance
Pages: 374 (Paperback)
Average Goodreads Rating: 3.98/5
My Rating: 5/5

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver is a war hero. When their ship, the Icarus, is pushed out of hyperspace, they're thrown together and forced to survive on an unknown planet. They fall in love and begin to wonder if it's better off staying on the planet when they have no chance of a future in their own world. However, when they find out what happened on the planet before they arrived, everything changes and their dilemma becomes more complicated than they thought possible.



I'm not the biggest fan of sci-fi but this book blew me away. I went in wary because of the hype, but after reading These Broken Stars I completely undestand why it's so popular.

The premise and world building was fantastic. I was so intrigued with the happenings of the world and I wanted to learn more about it. Normally, sci-fi things like aliens and hyperspace throw me off but the way it was written pulled me in and refused to let me go.

The characterization and romance amazing. The writers expertly melded their two different writing styles and the writing itself was beautiful. What I like most in this book was the growth. The characters went through so much great character development. They started off as somewhat stereotypical, flat protagonists, but they grew in ways I never expected. I felt so connected with Tarver and Lilac, I want to read so much more about them. Tarver's military experience was written very well and was very interesting. And Lilac was an amazing female character! Half the time she was in a dress and heels but she still was a big part of their survival. I also loved that the characters didn't instantly fall in love. It took a while for the romance to get going, which is what made it so believable and cute.

I really enjoyed this book and I hope to read the next one soon! 

T-T-F-N,
Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment