Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Identical Book Review

Title: Identical
Author: Ellen Hopkin
Series: Standalone
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic Fiction,
Pages: 565 (Paperback)
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.35/5
My Rating: 4.5/5

Kaeleigh and Raeanne are 16-year-old twins, daughters of a politician and a district judge. On the surface they seem like a normal family, they are anything but. The twins hold some dark secrets, Kaeleigh is sexually abused by their father and Raeanne witnesses it. Together they must overcome their demons.


Trigger Warning: Sexual Abuse, Mental Illness, Drug Abuse, Alcoholism, Self Harm


While certainly not my favorite Hopkins book, this definitely was an interesting read. The book deals with sexual abuse, mental illness, drug abuse, alcoholism, and eating disorders, and it was incredibly disturbing. I know similar events happen in real life, but imagining and reading about them doesn't seem real. There were times in the book where I was very confused, but it all gets wrapped up in a unique way. Throughout the book I wasn't terribly impressed; I love Ellen Hopkins but I preferred her other books over this one. However, the ending blew me away. It was something I never would have expected and it was written beautifully. This book is very well done and portrays difficult topics such as sexual abuse in a shocking and effective way.

Thanks for reading!
Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment