Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Maze Runner Book Review

Hello~


The Maze Runner follows Thomas, a boy who wakes up surrounded by strangers who, like him, have lost all their memories. They live in the Glade, the center of the Maze: an always-changing maze with no way out. Then a girl arrives and everything changes.

After watching the trailer for the movie I knew I just had to watch and read it. I did enjoy this book, but I didn't love it. What I did like about the book was the plot and backstory. I thought it was really interesting and intriguing. The book is very visual and Dashner does a great job bringing the setting to life. I also loved that Thomas's storyline didn't center around the Teresa. Of course, Teresa is a key player in the book but the novel wasn't just a debate about if they're going to become a couple or not.

I don't think Thomas was a great character. He was extremely repetitive and constantly complaining. Some of his thoughts were childish and just annoyed me and he tried too hard to be comedic. I also felt that Chuck was really not needed. Thomas and Chuck's relationship just seemed forced and that one scene at the end just didn't make me feel anything because of this. The only character I really did like was Minho, but even then I got annoyed. I also didn't like the pace of the book. A lot of people think that the beginning is really slow but I think it needed to be that slow in order to set up everything properly. However, I felt the last quarter of the book was just way too fast. It was difficult for me to really understand what was going on (and I just didn't want to take the time to read it slowly).

I'll probably read the rest of the series at some point but not any time soon. I'm really excited to see the movie though. :)

~Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment