Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown Book Review

Once again,  I have stayed up till one in the morning to finish a book.


"Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave. One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself." (from Goodreads)

Wow. I'm not one for paranormal books, every one I've read just wasn't a good experience, but The Coldest Girl in Coldtown was just amazing. Everything about this book is great. Vampirism is such an overdone topic but this book gives it a fresh spin. The Coldtowns themselves are so intriguing. They're lawless and violent and while I would never want to live in one of them, I'm captivated.

The characters are amazing as well. They're so unique and I just love them. Tana, the main character, is badass and won't let anyone push her down. While at some points I cringed at her decisions, she was a great character. And Gavriel... he's so strange and just crazy and reckless. I didn't completely fall in love with him but I did really enjoy his character. Something I don't like about paranormal books is how romance heavy they are and this was definitely more about Tana's story than the romance. However, I really wish I could have had more Tana and Gavriel.

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the way it ended. I felt it was rushed, a little too convenient, and it left a lot of unanswered questions. I understand that Black meant for the ending to be open-ended but I would have preferred it to be 100 pages longer or turned into a duology. 

I highly recommend this even for those who normally don't like paranormal.

Thanks for reading!
Hana

No comments:

Post a Comment