Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Blood of Olympus | Book Review

Title: The Blood of Olympus
Author: Rick Riordan
Series: The Heroes of Olympus #5
Publisher/Year: Disney-Hyperion, 2014
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Middle-Grade
Pages: 528 (Hardcover)
Average Goodreads Rating: 4.42/5
My Rating: 4.25/5

This is the fifth and final book of The Heroes of Olympus









Don't get me wrong, I loved the book, but it was a disappointment. I expected so much more from a series that I loved so much. Maybe I just went in with my expectations too high, but I felt it could have been better.

My first complaint was that there was barely any Percabeth. I love Percy and Annabeth so much, I wanted more of them. They stood at the sidelines in this book and I wish they had a bigger role. Yes, they had their series where they saved the world, but I wanted to see them save the world again. I didn't think that the last time I got to read from their point of view would be The House of Hades and I needed to be prepared for that. Without a point of view from Percy and Annabeth, the book lacked the necessary closure. I couldn't say a proper goodbye to two characters who I have been with for 10 books.

The main problem I had was that the book was rushed. Everything happened too fast, from the battles (which you should definitely read with intense battle music in the background) to the ending. The climax ended too easily. I was expecting more the characters to face more of a challenge when fighting Gaea. The actual ending, after Gaea is defeated (is that a spoiler? I mean it's to be expected), could have used 50 more pages to wrap things up better. I still have quite a few questions that I would like the answers to. The very last chapter of the book definitely should have been more than --- and ------ flying off into the sunset.

Now while I did think the book could have been better, there were some parts I did like. I really enjoyed reading from Nico (who is bae), Leo (also bae), and Reyna's point of view. It was great getting to learn more about Nico and Reyna. I laughed and smiled a lot as I read the book. The characters' sarcasm and sense of humor is perfect. I also just cried nonstop as I read the last 50 pages which is always good.

The Blood of Olympus could have been a better conclusion, however, The Heroes of Olympus as well as the Percy Jackson series will always have a special place in my heart. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go cry until The Sword of Summer comes out.




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was an enjoyable read with lots of bae's haha :)

    ReplyDelete