Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Crank Book Review

Hey guys!

Last night/this morning I finished reading Crank by Ellen Hopkins.



(The old cover was way better but this is the one I own.)

Crank follows Kristina, a 16-going-on-17 year old girl. She's the perfect daughter: obedient, great grades, on track to graduate early. When away at her father's house on a court-ordered trip, she meets the monster: crank, also known as methamphetamine for those less educated about drugs like me.

I've read three Ellen Hopkins books before (Impulse, Perfect, and Tricks) and I loved them. All of them got 5 out of 5 stars. Crank, however, was somewhat of a disappointment. The main character really annoyed me. Some of her decisions seemed really stupid and something that wouldn't happen in real life, although this novel is based on Ellen Hopkins's actual daughter. The story was also very repetitive. It basically goes like:
Kristina moves.
Kristina gets high with her dad and new boyfriend.
Kristina moves back to Reno.
Kristina gets high.
Kristina gets high.
Kristina gets high.
Kristina gets high.
Kristina gets high.
Kristina gets high.
Kristina gets high.
Kristina gets high.
Multiply by 10.

The writing was beautiful as usual but the plot just bored me. What I did like however, is how Hopkins tackles the subject of teenage drug abuse. Unfortunately, I felt Ellen was trying too hard to steer teens away from drugs because of her personal experience with it. This was her first novel so she definitely has improved and I look forward to reading more of her other books.

Thanks for reading!
Hana


No comments:

Post a Comment