Saturday, August 23, 2014

If I Stay Movie Review

Hey guys!

So today I saw the movie adaptation of If I Stay.


I would give it a C+/B- (7.5/10 stars). It wasn't the worst book-to-movie adaption but it wasn't the best. While watching it there was a lot of awkwardness. The transitions from past to present were awkward, Chloe's acting was awkward, and the voiceover was awkward. I think the best way to have presented the movie was to just have it be confusing in the beginning and then clear things up in the end instead of having Mia narrate. Another problem I had was that there were a lot of continuity errors and some of the logic didn't make sense.

I also didn't like how they made everything overdramatic. For the most part I liked Jamie's acting but sometimes he could be too dramatic. Additionally, some of the character changes that were made I didn't understand. For example, in the movie Adam was extremely selfish at times and it just didn't make sense. Kim was also downplayed too much. In the book she was a big part of the story but in the movie it seemed like her only purpose was to show that Mia isn't a total loner.

While all of these things added to the poor execution of the movie, my biggest problem was how they centered around the romance. Instead of focusing on Mia and her Choice, they focused on Mia and Adam's relationship. I felt that the book really wasn't about the romance and was about her Choice. Another thing that upset me was the ending. (Spoiler) I feel like instead of making the Choice herself, Adam made it for her. Adam wasn't the only reason she chose to stay, but the movie made it seem that way. (End Spoiler)

There was a lot I didn't like about the movie, but I did like some things. The (many) kissing scenes were great and there were a few scenes that I genuinely enjoyed. However, I do think the movie could have been a lot better.

Thanks for reading!
Hana

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this book to movie adaptation wasn't done as well as it could have been. (:

    ReplyDelete