Sunday, December 7, 2014

The Summer I Turned Pretty Book Review




Belly has spent every summer at Cousins with her mom and her brother, and with her mom's best friend and her two sons, Jeremiah and Conrad. Belly has been in love with Conrad since she was ten, but this summer things change. The boys finally start to notice her, but she becomes conflicted on who she loves and what she wants.

This was such a fun and quick read! I really enjoyed how this book was organized. It shows Belly's past summers and her present one. I felt I got to know Belly so much better through those glimpses of the past. I was expecting this to be a stereotypical, fluffly contemporary, but it was so much more. While there is the typical angst and miscommunication in the novel, there are also some deeper undertones that lead toward a bigger picture. The characters were also wonderful. They were flawed and made so human. Belly was very relatable. She was kind, smart, immature and just plain silly sometimes. Jenny Han captured what a teenager is like perfectly. Reading, I thought I knew the characters but towards the end I realized how complex they all really are. I cannot wait to read the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment